Friday 14 September 2012

What if I opened a door?

What are you like?

Inside I mean.

If I could reach out and open a door into your mind, your soul, your conscience. If I could literally get inside your head, what would I find?

Do you remember Yu-Gi-Oh? Do you remember the episode where Yugi went into his own mind using that puzzle of his and found himself at a passage dividing his mind from Yami's? His mind was a cluttered mess with all his thought's and interests floating around and Yami's was this cold labrynthical tomb. What is your mind like? Yami or Yugi?

I had a discussion with one of my friends about this once. We were in grade 5 at the time so the details were a bit hazy. We discussed what would determine the landscape and what the thoughts would be like. I seem to remember we settled upon your personality and emotions being the surroundings and that your thoughts and memories would appear in the form of animals and buildings. The animals being recent and the buildings being long held beliefs and ideas.

I remember we joked that his mind would be a hellish landscape with the thoughts being big dracula-esque castles and viscious fellbeasts that would kill you soon as look at you. He was promoting himself as a violent character at the time. He had the size, shaven hair and graphic imagination to make it work I suppose. My mind was a bit more of a challenge. We both agreed you'd probably get lost in their, maybe it was vast, maybe a maze. I like the idea of it being an open wooded landscape but at the same time having an MC Escher feel about it. winding paths that were closed loops, buildfings that sort of mashed together. I also get the idea that a lot of the buildings would be incomplete and fragmented. The biological thoughts would probably be these fast moving whispy things, ever changing, ever moving. They wouldn't be dangerous as they wouldn't even notice you. You and your slow-paced humanity.

And you? Maybe your mind is a club or a garden. An open field, a maze, a strange techno world like in Tron. It's an interesting thought. You should try draw it. I will. I'll draw my mind and I'll post it here later. Pop back in on Monday maybe.


1 comment:

  1. I actually had this exact discussion with Gwinnie the other day.

    ReplyDelete